Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mary Mary, quite contrary....

how does your garden grow?


Well if you live in the West End of Long Beach, on a 30x60 piece of property, it grows in pots. Or "containers", as the gardening guides call them. The gals and I started our "container garden" early this year after having to wait till almost September for tomatoes last year. We were the first ones on the block (me. first. write down the date for posterity's sake people, it doesn't happen often!) to have our spring planting done. After an iffy beginning and two rounds of dead basil, things seem to be taking root.


This is the second year Nat and Cee have participated in the planting. They did surprisingly well their first time out last year; how in the world the seeds they "planted" managed to grow I have no idea. If you saw the pots (2 inches of dirt in some, others overflowing, etc. etc.) you would understand what I mean. So this year, I gave them a little more rope (and upgraded supplies) and they went to town. So much so, that I had to go and buy bigger pots, er containers, and more dirt to transplant the lima beans, brussel sprouts, carrots, and the "mystery pot". Along with the cukes, tomatoes, eggplant, zuchinni, and strawberries that I planted, and the few seed packets the girls have left (pumpkins! THAT should be interesting!) we should have a plentiful harvest this year. As well as a lot of fun tending to our garden. Together.




I'll take some pictures of my little gardeners this weekend when we are out watering our crop! That's it for now.....................





Jill

No comments: